Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Many reasons could cause drivers and cyclists to collide. Bike crashes are common on public roads and can be extremely dangerous to those on bicycles. Some common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Distracted driving. Driving while texting, eating, smoking, or even talking can lead to accidents simply because the driver doesn’t see the person on the bicycle.
- Excessive speed. Driving at excessive speeds or higher speeds than driving conditions can affect a vehicle’s time to stop after seeing a bicyclist.
- Failure to check the blind spot. Sudden lane changes without checking for bicyclists.
- Not sharing the road. Failure to allow enough room between the vehicle and the bike.
- Failure to yield. A failure to yield the right of way to a bicycle or failure to stop at a red light or stop sign.
- Driving under the influence. Alcohol and drugs reduce the driver’s capacity to make appropriate decisions and lead to fatal accidents.
- Opening the door without looking. When a driver doesn’t see a bicyclist, it can lead to the bicyclist impacting the door and result in severe injuries.
Aggressive driving. Speeding, tailgating, or cutting in and out of traffic can cause accidents with bicycles and other vehicles.
Bicyclists should always be aware of their surroundings while riding, though it’s ultimately up to the vehicle’s driver to make sure they don’t hit someone on a bike.
Where Do Bicycle Accidents Occur?
While numerous car and even pedestrian accidents happen at intersections, bicycle accidents can occur almost anywhere, including urban environments, major highways, and access roads. If you’re riding in one of these areas as a bicyclist or even driving your vehicle, it’s essential to keep an eye on other cars and bicyclists. If you’re riding a bike, you should avoid riding at night and wear bright, reflective clothing. Wear a helmet and avoid distractions such as texting, talking on the phone, and changing your playlist.
Common Injuries That Occur in Bicycle Accidents
Injuries sustained in a bicycle versus automobile car accident can result in serious injuries. Some of these may be noticeable right away, and some take time for symptoms to appear. That’s why it’s vital to be checked by a doctor right away to establish a baseline after your accident. Common injuries include:
- Head injuries include brain contusions, concussions, skull fractures, intracranial hemorrhages, and traumatic brain injuries.
- Face and eye injuries include facial fractures, dental fractures, contusions, and corneal foreign bodies.
- Musculoskeletal injuries include dislocations, fractures, and strains.
- Rib fractures and lung injury.
- Injuries to the abdomen include a splenic rupture, hepatic laceration, pancreatic trauma, renal contusion, traumatic hernias, small or large bowel contusions, and vascular perforation.
- Abrasions, contusions, and lacerations to the skin may also occur.
What To Do After a Bicycle Accident Occurs
The moments after an accident are full of emotions, adrenaline, and pain. After an accident, you should try to do a few things to help you build your case against the party or parties at fault. If you’re involved in a bicycle accident, you should call the police immediately to begin their investigation and file a police or accident report. You should exchange the following information with the driver of the vehicle:
- Name, phone number, and address.
- Auto insurance carrier information and policy number.
- The driver’s license and license plate numbers of the driver.
Taking photos is also advised to establish the scene. If there are any witnesses, you should try to get their contact information and name should their accident account be needed later.
You should also seek medical attention after an accident, even if you don’t feel like you’ve been injured. Specific injuries, such as internal or head injuries, can take hours to become apparent. Being seen by a medical professional can help you avoid more serious problems from an accident. It will also ensure that your injuries are documented if your case should go to court.
Before you speak to any insurance company, it’s important to discuss your potential claim with a bicycle accident lawyer. Speaking with an insurance company and saying one thing wrong can potentially affect or cost you your coverage. Godsey Martin, PC, is here to help.
What Compensation Can I Receive?
No available data can tell you the exact amount you could receive. The amount depends on the individual circumstances surrounding your case, including:
- Past, present, and future medical bills related to your injuries.
- Cost of physical therapy.
- Recovery for any lost wages.
- Property damage.
- Compensation for reduced earning capacity.
- Emotional trauma.
- Pain and suffering.
- Loss of consortium.
After a consultation and gathering all information, we’ll determine an amount. The team at Godsey Martin, PC, will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve after being injured in a bicycle accident. This traumatic event shouldn’t leave you with thousands in medical bills, unable to work, emotional trauma, or fear surrounding riding a bicycle. Reach out to our team today, and someone will be glad to discuss your case with you and determine whether or not you should proceed with your claim.
Contact Godsey Martin, PC Today
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident, please don’t wait to contact the team of lawyers at Godsey Martin, PC today. We have the compassion and skill needed to help you get the compensation you deserve. Our personal injury lawyers are knowledgeable in bicycle accidents and can help you get your life back on track. Contact us via our secure online form or by phone at 800-I-GOT-HIT today to discuss your case with a member of our team in Houston.
What Our Clients Say
“Today I spoke with Amanda Collins and she was just wonderful. She was very attentive and understanding. She was patient and kind, she answered all of our questions clearly and respectfully. Thank you so much Amanda! Making a difficult situation seem so easy.”
“Amanda Bell has been great. She’s been very diligent with checking in and keeping me up to date with what’s going on with my case. I never have to worry myself with calling her to get info because she’s on top of it and always informs me promptly.”
“I want to take the time out to have Mr. Garza and Ms. Mendoza recognized for their extensive professionalism and also for their continued dedication to see me through my case! I was being given the run around and they fixed that quickly! Thanks for being a listening ear Mr. Garza and for always leaving a line open for me to reach you with my concerns!”
“I called Godsey Martin right after my daughter and I were hit by a drunk driver on the highway. They were very helpful in getting us set up with the medical care we needed and getting us a fair settlement through the drivers insurance. Priscilla Nowlin was my point of contact and kept me up to date with every step of the process. She responded quickly and was very professional. I am very grateful for her and for the Godsey Martin team!”
“Priscilla Nowlin was a great help and very responsive. The process was painless and my settlement exceeded my expectations. Priscilla was very professional and when I notified her of a death in my family she very understanding, she let me know they would continue to work on my behalf and to just focus on my family. Thank you Godsey Martin for having such a great staff who just don’t see you as a client but a human being which is often lost with some law firms.”
Our Team of Attorneys are Available 24/7
Our legal team, located in Dallas and Houston, understands the steps that need to be taken to help accident victims get their life back on track. We will stand by your side throughout the entire legal process, fighting the insurance companies and the negligent driver responsible in order to provide you the money and justice you deserve. Click or call us today to begin your case.
SLIP & FALLS