What Types of Injuries Are Common in Car Accidents?
Injuries sustained in car accidents vary depending on factors like vehicle type and speed. The range of potential injuries is wide, but some common injuries suffered in car accidents include:
- Small cuts, scratches, and bruises.
- Torn muscles, tendons, and ligaments.
- Sprained wrists and ankles.
- Damage to internal organs.
- Broken bones, such as a shattered pelvis, broken ribs, and fractured elbows.
- Head and brain injuries, including traumatic brain injuries, concussions, and skull fractures.
- Neck and shoulder injuries, including whiplash and dislocated shoulders.
- Back and spinal cord injuries, including herniated disks, nerve damage, and paralysis.
Regardless of the type of injury you sustained, recovery times vary, and the medical costs and lost wages associated with these injuries can make your accident recovery even more stressful.
Do You Have a Valid Car Accident Injury Claim?
In Texas, to get compensation for your car accident injuries and losses, you must prove a few things, including:
You must prove that the party that caused your injury was negligent. Negligent means the person was reckless or ignored traffic safety laws. For example, a driver sped past a red light and caused an accident.
Injuries Caused by Negligence
You must also prove that negligence directly caused your personal injuries. For example, when the driver ran the red light and struck you, two of your ribs were broken in the impact.
Harm or Damages
Third, you must prove that the injury resulted in harm or damages. Harm or damages are compensable, meaning you can receive financial compensation for proven losses you may have experienced, such as loss of income and medical expenses.
Who May Be Liable in a Car Accident?
Car accidents usually involve multiple parties besides the injured parties. Depending on the circumstances of the accident, the following parties could be liable in a car accident:
- The driver of the car.
- Owner of the car, if not driven by the owner.
- Other drivers or pedestrians.
- A mechanic or service provider who recently worked on the car.
- Manufacturer of the car or parts.
- The municipality or government.
- Property owner.
How Does Texas Calculate the Value of My Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit?
The value of car accident cases varies as much as the injuries suffered in these cases. Under Texas law, your car accident settlement is intended to compensate you for your injuries and the effects of those injuries on your life. While a specific amount of recovery is difficult to establish, Texas considers several factors when calculating your claim value, including:
- Economic damages, such as lost wages and medical bills, including future wage losses and medical expenses.
- Property damage, such as damage to your vehicle.
- Non-economic damages, including emotional distress, anxiety, and pain and suffering.
- Punitive damages, awarded in cases where the actions of the defendant involved gross negligence.
- Your conduct or fault in the accident.
Do You Still Have a Claim if You’re Partially at Fault for Your Car Accident?
You may still have a claim if you’re partially at fault for your car accident. This depends on your percentage of fault. Texas is a modified comparative fault state. This means that, if it is determined that you are 51% or more at fault or responsible for your accident, you cannot recover any compensation.
If you’re found to be 50% or less at fault for your accident, your recovery will be reduced by the percentage of fault assigned to you. For example, if you receive a settlement for $200,000 but you were found to be 30% at fault for your accident, then your settlement will be reduced by 30% and you will receive $140,000.
What Steps Can You Take To Stay Safe on the Road?
The Texas Department of Transportation recommends several safe driving tips to keep you safe on Dallas roads:
- Always obey traffic signals, posted speed limits, signs, and markings. This ensures the safety of everyone on the road.
- Be courteous to other drivers.
- Stay alert, eliminate any distractions, and focus on driving when behind the wheel. Put your phone away or turn it off.
- Slow down in poor weather.
- Pass carefully when it’s legal and safe.
- Never drink and drive or drive while under the influence of alcohol, other drugs, or medications that cause drowsiness.
- Slow down or move over for flashing lights, including law enforcement vehicles, emergency vehicles, and tow trucks that may stop along the side of the road.
How Can Godsey Martin, PC Help You After Your Car Accident?
From the first day you enter our offices, you receive a dedicated, professional, and personalized experience. Whether you were injured in a car accident as a driver or a passenger, our experienced team of Texas personal injury attorneys will handle every aspect of your claim, including:
- Explaining your legal rights and options.
- Filing your claim with the insurance companies and/or the court.
- Getting necessary evidence for the case.
- Referring you to qualified medical professionals, including doctors and physical therapists.
- Managing all correspondence with insurance companies and their lawyers.
- Negotiating settlements with insurance companies and their lawyers.
- Getting compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and other damages associated with the accident.
We understand how complex being involved in a car accident can be for you and your family. Contact us today for a free consultation about your accident case. There is no upfront cost with us. We take all our personal injury claims and cases on a contingency fee basis, and we don’t collect a fee unless you get paid. Contact our Dallas office today!
What Our Clients Say
“Today I spoke with Amanda Collins and she was just wonderful. She was very attentive and understanding. She was patient and kind, she answered all of our questions clearly and respectfully. Thank you so much Amanda! Making a difficult situation seem so easy.”
“Amanda Bell has been great. She’s been very diligent with checking in and keeping me up to date with what’s going on with my case. I never have to worry myself with calling her to get info because she’s on top of it and always informs me promptly.”
“I want to take the time out to have Mr. Garza and Ms. Mendoza recognized for their extensive professionalism and also for their continued dedication to see me through my case! I was being given the run around and they fixed that quickly! Thanks for being a listening ear Mr. Garza and for always leaving a line open for me to reach you with my concerns!”
“I called Godsey Martin right after my daughter and I were hit by a drunk driver on the highway. They were very helpful in getting us set up with the medical care we needed and getting us a fair settlement through the drivers insurance. Priscilla Nowlin was my point of contact and kept me up to date with every step of the process. She responded quickly and was very professional. I am very grateful for her and for the Godsey Martin team!”
“Priscilla Nowlin was a great help and very responsive. The process was painless and my settlement exceeded my expectations. Priscilla was very professional and when I notified her of a death in my family she very understanding, she let me know they would continue to work on my behalf and to just focus on my family. Thank you Godsey Martin for having such a great staff who just don’t see you as a client but a human being which is often lost with some law firms.”
Our Team of Attorneys are Available 24/7
Our legal team, located in Dallas and Houston, understands the steps that need to be taken to help accident victims get their life back on track. We will stand by your side throughout the entire legal process, fighting the insurance companies and the negligent driver responsible in order to provide you the money and justice you deserve. Click or call us today to begin your case.