If you or a loved one were recently injured in a car accident, you may have many questions about your next steps. One of the most frequently asked questions is, “Should I contact an attorney?” Continue reading to learn more about what you should do after a car or vehicle accident, when to contact an attorney, and the benefits of having an attorney during this stressful time.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
Regardless of the severity of the accident, the moments immediately following a vehicle accident can be overwhelming, scary, and disorienting. The first thing you can do is assess the environment for safety hazards and obtain medical care for any serious injuries. After that, the following six steps can help safeguard your right to justice and compensation:
- Step 1: Contact law enforcement and emergency services. Even if you don’t suspect injuries, contact the appropriate services. Law enforcement and emergency services will further assess the scene and make sure you and others are safe.
- Step 2: Exchange contact and insurance information. Getting the name, address, and phone number of everyone involved makes it easier to obtain the necessary information after the accident. Don’t forget any witnesses. Be sure to also obtain any insurance and driver’s license information from the other parties involved.
- Step 3: Take photographs. Pictures are valuable evidence and useful in supporting your case. If possible, take pictures of the driver’s license and license plate of the parties involved, the accident scene including any traffic signs and tire or track marks, any damage to the vehicles or other personal property, and any injuries sustained.
- Step 4: Get medical care. As soon as possible after the accident, you should seek medical care. Some injuries are not visible, and others may not immediately cause pain or other symptoms. Delaying medical care can sometimes negatively affect your claim for compensation for your injuries.
- Step 5: Secure any physical evidence. You may be tempted to repair your vehicle or its individual parts. Do not. It is better to preserve the evidence as it currently is.
- Step 6: Contact an experienced car accident attorney. Filing a vehicle accident claim is a complex process that is better managed by an attorney who is knowledgeable about Texas personal injury law. An attorney will be able to manage all aspects of your claim while you recover from your injuries.
When Should I Hire an Attorney?
Every car accident does not require a lawyer, such as fender benders or crashes that result in minor or no injuries. However, in more complicated cases, such as those involving serious injuries, complex laws, or violations of state traffic laws, your success depends on having a knowledgeable car accident attorney by your side. It is important to note that Texas is a “fault” car insurance state, which means every driver can be liable for any damages and injuries they cause in a car accident.
To protect your interest and maximize your compensation, you should contact an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible after any vehicle accident. That way, you prevent any costly mistakes that can negatively impact your claim.
If any of the following applies to your case, you should contact an attorney:
- Liability for the accident is unclear.
- You suffered a serious injury.
- The accident involved other drivers, cyclists, or pedestrians.
- The accident involves insurance limitations, or you received an insurance settlement.
What Are the Benefits of Hiring a Car Accident Attorney?
An experienced car accident attorney is invaluable when pursuing a vehicle accident claim because they can help save you time, money, and anxiety. Benefits of having an attorney include:
Did you know? There is a two-year statute of limitations for personal injury claims that begins on the date of your accident.
How Godsey Martin, PC Can Help You After Your Car Accident
We understand that each case is unique, and the process of filing a car accident claim is complicated. With our extensive knowledge of Texas personal injury law, Godsey Martin, PC will assist you with every aspect of your case, including:
- Understanding your legal rights and options.
- Filing a claim with your insurance company and/or the court.
- Obtaining necessary evidence for the case, such as photographs of the accident, witness statements, and medical records.
- Referring you to qualified medical professionals, such as physical therapists.
- Handling all correspondence with the insurance companies, their lawyers, and the court.
- Negotiating settlements with the insurance companies and their lawyers.
- Getting compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost wages.
The process of filing a car accident claim in Texas may seem overwhelming at first. However, our law firm of over 90 knowledgeable attorneys provides you with a dedicated, professional, and personalized experience from day one.
There is no upfront cost with us. All of our personal injury claims and cases, including car accident claims, are taken on a contingency fee basis. We don’t get paid unless you get paid!
Since 2007, our law firm has helped more than 1,000 Texans and their families receive the justice and compensation they deserve for their personal injuries and accidents while making sure their voices are heard. Contact us online or at 800-IGOTHIT (800-446-8448) for a free consultation about your car accident case.