Truck accidents differ from other vehicle accidents in several ways. Trucks are thousands of pounds heavier than other vehicles, resulting in more catastrophic injuries. A large fully loaded truck can weigh up to 18,000 tons. Most trucks are the property of trucking companies with specific insurance policies that can affect the amount you recover. There are also several federal and state laws that govern truck accidents that also affect a person’s ability to seek legal action.
If you or a loved one were recently injured in a truck accident, you may have many questions about your next steps. Should you contact an attorney? Do you even need a lawyer? Continue reading to learn more about truck accidents in Texas and how working with a truck accident lawyer can be beneficial to your case.
What Are the Benefits of Hiring a Truck Accident Attorney?
Working with an experienced truck accident attorney can mean the difference between winning a large settlement or walking away with nothing. Not only does the attorney manage all aspects of your case while you recover, but they also save you anxiety, money, and time. Benefits of having an attorney include:
- Having someone knowledgeable who can understand the complexities of Texas personal injury law as well as federal and state laws regulating trucking who can help you avoid missteps and delays in your claim.
- Having someone experienced at negotiating with insurance companies and lawyers who can increase the compensation you receive.
- Having access to resources and connections required to evaluate your case and injuries adequately and fairly, including doctors.
- Having your case fairly assessed for all damages you may qualify for, including economic, noneconomic, and punitive damages.
- Paying no upfront costs associated with your case, because most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, meaning they only get paid if you recover compensation for your case.
What Are the Common Causes of Truck Accidents?
Many of the same factors that contribute to vehicle accidents can also cause truck accidents. Common causes of truck accidents include:
- Distracted and fatigued drivers.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Improperly loaded cargo.
- Overweight or overloaded trucks.
- Safety rule violations such as speeding, or ignoring traffic regulations.
- Lack of training and safety programs for drivers.
- Improper maintenance and inadequate inspections.
An experienced truck injury attorney will help you to not only identify the cause of your truck accident but also anyone who may be liable or responsible, including the truck driver and/or trucking company.
What Types of Injuries Are Possible in a Truck Accident?
Due to the size and weight of trucks, many of the injuries common in other vehicle accidents are typically more severe. Many injuries suffered in truck accidents require immediate medical attention. Potential injuries suffered in truck accident cases include:
- Broken or fractured bones, including shattered hips, broken ribs, and fractured elbows.
- Soft tissue injuries, including torn muscles, tendons, and ligaments, sprained and strained wrists, and ankles.
- Brain, neck, and shoulder injuries, including traumatic brain injuries, dislocated shoulders, and concussions.
- Back and spinal cord injuries, including herniated disk, nerve damage, and paralysis.
- Loss of limbs or organs, including loss of arms, legs, eyes, and ears.
- Burns, disfigurement, and scarring.
- Internal injuries, including damage to organs such as your intestines or liver, and internal bleeding.
Many truck accident attorneys have relationships with doctors, physical therapists, and other medical experts who can further investigate your injuries and provide the most appropriate treatment while providing proof of your injuries.
What Can I Recover Compensation for in a Truck Accident?
Depending on the injuries you sustained, Texas allows you to recover the following damages:
- Lost wages, including future wage losses.
- Medical costs, including future medical costs.
- Property damage resulting from the accident.
- Non-economic damages, including emotional distress, anxiety, and pain and suffering.
- Punitive damages, awarded in cases where the actions of the defendant involved gross negligence.
A knowledgeable truck accident lawyer will be able to assess your case to accurately estimate the compensation you may be owed.
What Should I Do After a Truck Accident?
The first thing you should do is seek medical attention and assess your environment for safety hazards. Once you have ensured your safety and the safety of others with you, consider contacting an experienced Texas truck accident lawyer.
The process of filing a truck accident claim is a complex process, better managed by an attorney who is knowledgeable about Texas personal injury law. Because Texas has a two-year statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits, you should contact a truck accident attorney as soon as possible following your accident.
How Can Godsey Martin, PC Help Me After My Truck Accident?
Our team of experienced attorneys understands how to win financial compensation for the physical and financial damages you endured. We understand that each case is unique and the process of filing a truck accident claim is a complicated one.
With our extensive knowledge of Texas personal injury law, Godsey Martin, PC will assist you with every aspect of your truck accident case, including:
- Explaining your legal rights and options.
- Filing your claim with the insurance companies and/or the court.
- Obtaining necessary evidence for the case.
- Referring you to qualified medical professionals.
- Handle all correspondence with insurance companies and their lawyers.
- Negotiating settlements with insurance companies and their lawyers.
- Getting compensation for medical expenses, pain & suffering, lost wages, and other damages associated with the accident.
Our law firm of over 90 knowledgeable attorneys provides you with a dedicated, professional, and personalized experience from the first day you enter our offices. There is no upfront cost with us. All of our personal injury claims and cases are taken on a contingency fee basis. We don’t collect a fee unless you get paid! Contact us online or at 1-800-IGOTHIT (1-800-446-8448) for a free consultation about your truck accident case. We also handle other types of personal injury cases, including slip and falls and motorcycle accidents.